Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

No, child support is not tax deductible.

In the Personal Info section, you will be asked if you support another person. Be careful before you say "yes."

In some cases, the noncustodial parent can claim the child as a dependent on his tax return, but only if the custodial parent agrees and gives him a signed  Form 8332  releasing her right to claim the child.

If that is not the case, then you should say no when asked about supporting another person, and you shouldn't claim the child as a dependent.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post