carmy_g

I got a 1099-MISC form from Teach for America. For 1040 review: How do I find the business activity code? Should I put $0 for income not reported in 1099-MISC?

I followed the instructions for non-self employment 1099-MISC but I'm still getting errors in the 1040 review. The errors are asking details of the business (name and address), other income not reported in form, method activity, if I were required to file 1099 form due to payments, business activity code, and if I materially participated. I noticed the box: "operated by Taxpayer" is automatically marked. How do I answer all these questions when they're not found in the form?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

What is "Teach for America"?   Did you do work for them?   What box of the 1099MISC is the amount shown in?
♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
carmy_g

Thank you for your response! Teach for America is a recruiter organization. If they didn't provide the job in the period they guaranteed, they provide a temporary job until you do get your permanent job. As a result, they send a 1099MISC for the salary they paid for the temporary job (they become a temporary employer). They only filled up box 3 with the amount. I ended up calling Turbotax who helped me solve this issue.
AmandaR1

You can find a business activity code at the IRS listing here: https://taxmap.irs.gov/taxmap/instr/i1040sc-016.htm 

I searched "education" and found code #611000 or you can always use the miscellaneous code #999999. 

If that was your only income related to this type of work, then yes, you could put $0 other income. 

Note: If you were paid for your work, it's considered business income for the IRS. If this is correct, you shouldn't report it as non-self employment income and that sounds like why you are having difficulties.  

View solution in original post

carmy_g

Thank you for your response! I didn't understand how to search it because I couldn't click on the magnifying glass. I had to press shift+enter which allowed me to enter the form. Select the magnifying glass icon by the box to enter business activity code, which gave me a whole list of the business codes.