If my daughter is a full-time student and working part-time, can I claim her as a dependent, she'll probably want to claim herself, how does this work?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

How old is she?  Does she live in your home when not at school?

She's 21 and lives with me when in school

Forbid the child to claim herself OR to file a return  before you file yours OR before you review hers for correctness .... if she files before you and claims herself you will be very unhappy when you have to mail in your return and amend hers.

You should be able to claim your daughter as a dependent on your tax return under the Qualifying Child rules since she is a full time student and under the age of 24.  When entering her as your dependent in the My Info section of the TurboTax program indicate that she lived in your home for the entire year (any temporary absence for education is still considered living in your home).  Also indicate that she is a full time student.  Her income is not a factor when claiming a dependent under the QC rules.

When your daughter files her tax return, she Must indicate on her tax return that she can be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return. 

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.

2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.

3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.

4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.

5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child. 

6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.

7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

View solution in original post

Hal_Al
Level 15

Furthermore, there is a rule that says IF somebody else CAN claim him/her as a dependent, he is not allowed to claim his own exemption. If he has sufficient income (usually more than $6350), he can & should still file taxes; he just doesn’t get his own $4050 exemption (deduction). In TurboTax, he indicates that somebody else can claim him as a dependent, at the personal information section.  
Even if he had less, he is allowed to file if he needs to get back income tax withholding. He cannot get back social security or Medicare tax withholding.

If she had less than $6350 of income, she gets no benefit from Claiming herself. If she has more than $6350 she will pay 10% tax on everything over. For example, if her total income was $9000; her tax will be (9000-6350 = 2650 x 10% = $265.

So if I get the credit when claiming her

She has marked her box she can be claimed..

Will she get anything back or all me?

I've always claimed my youngest college student but never thought about my oldest when she moved home 2yrs ago..lol

She is 21 now..

So both are fulltime students live with me are 20 and 21..

They mark that box they can be claimed.

Should I claim both. Single momma single income ..I need the help 😁

You can claim both the children since they are under the age of 24 and full time students under the Qualifying Child rules as long as they meet all the requirements.

If you claim a student as a dependent then any education expenses and credits are entered on your tax return.  They should receive a Form 1098-T from the school and you report that form on your tax return.  A student dependent cannot claim any education expenses or credits on their tax return.

The child can file their own tax return and report their income and taxes withheld.  If their income is less than $12,200 they should receive all federal income taxes withheld back as a tax refund.  Verify for sure that they are indicating on their tax returns that they can be claimed as a dependent or you will here back from the IRS.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

"Her income is not a factor when claiming a dependent under the QC rules"

**Sort of.**  As stated in item #4,  "The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year." So, if the child had enough income (and if they used the income to provide >1/2 of their own support) they would technically not be a QC.

This is uncommon but can be used in some situations to their benefit.  Example: If the child's federal tax liability is >than the dependent tax credit that the parents would receive for claiming her as a dependent, AND the parents' income is so high that it excludes the parents from qualifying for an education tax credit.

Keep in mind that the education credits pertain to EARNED income when asking about support but QC does not.