jbunda211

I submitted my federal tax and it got returned due to my wife’s last name, how do I cancel it ?

Rachel_W
Expert Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

If your Wife's Last Name and Social Security Number do not match Social Security Administration (SSA) records, the IRS will Reject your return.  If your return was rejected, it has already been "cancelled" so to speak.  You will need to fix your Wife's Last Name on the return and re-file.

If you were just recently Married and your Wife hasn't changed her Last Name with SSA, then you will need to use her Maiden Last Name on your tax return.  Sometimes it takes the SSA a while to update their records to the IRS, so even if she did change her name with SSA but it was fairly recently, she will still need to use her Maiden Last Name on your tax returns this year.

mbruehl13

I have resubmitted 3 times. On our joint filing last year we used [removed] and it was accepted. Her social security card reads [removed]. I tried [removed] and was rejected. What should I do?

@mbruehl13 If you have a Social Security mismatch that is preventing you from e-filing there is no way to fix it.   You have to print, sign and mail your tax return.   And it would be a good idea to talk with the Social Security office to see what is causing your problem.  The IRS gets SSN's and dates of birth from the SSA so you should get it sorted out.

When you mail a tax return, use a mailing service like certified mail to track it so you will know it got to the IRS.  Attach W-2's and any 1099's that show tax withheld.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
HeatherPLO
Intuit Alumni

@mbruehl13

Please do not post names in the public forum due to security purposes.  

In order to correct the Rejection, please try to use the names you used last year when the return was successful.  If this does not work, please see this Help Article here for when a return is unable to be e-filed.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"