Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Okay I found it, but based on information in multiple places.  From what I see, for rental purposes of claiming things on SCH E, you can't because this is what the IRS classifies as a disqualified leaseback - it was less than one year and it's not what is commonly called a "rent to own" arrangement. I also assume this leaseback was a part of the sales contract, be it in the actual sales contract itself, or an addendum to same.
Additionally, the seller did not "relinquish control" of the property to the buyer, during the leaseback period. For example, the buyer could not go in during the leaseback period and start doing things like knocking out walls, remodeling the kitchen, transfer or cutoff utilities, etc. With all this being true, the income received can be either subtracted from the cost-basis, or what's simpler is to declare the income as passive income - but not on the SCH E.
To declare the income so it's taxed as the passive income it is without dealing with all the nonsense of the SCH E for this, do the following:
Under the Personal Income tab scroll all the way to the bottom and elect to start/update Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C.
Select "Income from renting out personal property"
Enter the rental income you received for the entire leaseback period. If you incurred any expenses during that period, you can claim it. But I seriously doubt you have any expenses that you can claim on this screen. Just continue.
Then click Continue again, and that does it.