Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Work-Related Education (Personal itemized deductions on Schedule A)

You can deduct expenses you have for education if the education meets at least one of the following two tests.

  • It maintains or improves skills required in your present work.
  • It is required by your employer or the law to keep your salary, status, or job, and the requirement serves a business purpose of your employer.

You can't deduct expenses you have for education, even though one or both of the preceding tests are met if the education:

  • Is needed to meet the minimum educational requirements to qualify you in your trade or business, or
  • Is part of a program of study that will lead to qualifying you in a new trade or business.

 IRS Pub. 529 Miscellaneous Deductions

Self-Employed Business-Related Education (Business deductions on Schedule C)

If it's directly related to the work you do, you can deduct it as a business expense.  These expenses include:

  • Any licenses or permits that are required for your profession
  • Fees and membership dues you paid to professional associations or unions
  • Continuing education or certification related to your work

See the links below for more information on business deductions.