Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

As far as the IRS is concerned, with your refurbish/resell activities, you are self employed and in business for yourself. You are required to report this income on a SCH C as a part of your personal tax return. For that, you need the Self-Employed version.

The IRS also expects you to keep your own records of what the business buys and sells, and for you to use those records to complete your tax return. So you may find yourself paying more in taxes on that business income for the 2017 tax year, than you really should. While you can deduct all your business expenses from your business income, should you be audited on it, you'll have to "prove" it. When it comes to dealing with the IRS, if it's not in writing, then it flat out *did* *not* *occur*. So my advice to you is, if you don't have receipts to "prove" you purchased the paint, stain, sandpaper, doorknobs, handles and other stuff, then don't claim it as a business expense.

For business vehicle use, you need to keep finely detailed mileage records that show every single mile driven for business purposes, as well as personal purposes. Or if you have more than one vehicle, its best to designate one vehicle for business use "ONLY", and never drive it one single foot for anything other than business. You still need to keep mileage records, but it's so much easier and simpler to do so if the vehicle is not mixed use.

As you work this through the program, you will have more questions, I know. But instead of telling all I know you'll ask in this post, thus leading to "information overload", it's best we wait for you to ask them as you work it through the program. Do note that since this is a learning process for you, you will "NOT" finish your SCH C in one day. So don't expect this to go fast. It won't.