mievans82
Returning Member

I refurbish and sell furniture do I need to file this?

I purchase furniture cheap at garage sells, get it free on craigslist, facebook marketplace ect. This is my first year doing this. Also this year from 09/17-current I sell on ebay and in the beginning of the year I worked about maybe 3 months at a regular job.  I do the furniture flipping and ebay selling full time for a living. I spend lots of money on gas from driving around to get things and also buying paint, stripper knobs, pulls and more.  I also spend money on shipping boxes, shipping cost and supplies for my online eBay selling. I have sold about 164 items on eBay this year and have sold about maybe $5000 worth of refurbished furniture throughout the year. Here is the problem I wasn't aware I needed to file for these types of jobs as I am use to working a regular job and getting a W2. I haven't saved any receipts for gas cost or what I spent on merchandise refurbishing furniture and sells were in cash. I do know I can use my pay-pal for proof of online sells but what about the rest of the work performed? Am I required to file taxes for the findings and refurbishing of furniture that resulted into sales? Also how do I file the ebay sells and the furniture sales and cost for travel and expenses like paint, stripper, pulls and knobs and more. Also I have 3 dependents not sure if that helps. Thanks so much and I apologize if the question isn't worded that great.