Intuit Alumni

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It depends.

If your wife has stayed in the US for more than five years, she is a resident.  You can e-file your return by filing jointly.

If your wife does not stay in the US for more than 5 years by 2018, she would be treated as a nonresident.  If you want to file jointly with her, you would need to attach a statement to your tax return.  See Nonresident to resident.  This way, you cannot e-file.  You have to submit this statement along with all the print-out tax forms to the IRS by mail.  To print out, see