I'm using turbotax deluxe. What is the cost to e-file federal return only?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

There is no e-file fee for federal or state returns when you are using TurboTax Deluxe Online version. You only pay for the software to prepare those returns in. 

The price for Deluxe is here https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/ and if you click State additional under the price, it will show you state download cost as well. 

If you are using TurboTax Deluxe CD/Download desktop version, federal is also free to e-file but you pay an e-file fee for your state return in that version. 

Related Topics:

Chipster007
Returning Member

The information on this topic by Turbo is deceptive as they do a money grab from customers ($24.99 with $25 the maximum price allowed by law) to e-file while the service if free to them.  If you are a MAC or Windows 7 User, you can NOT use the download or discs for the 2020 tax year - you have to use the On-Line Version.  For some strange reason, the On-Line Version only allows for one complimentary E-Filing while the Download or Disc product for Windows 10 allows for a total of five complimentary E-Filings.  

I am sorry to say that with the reality of COVID-19 existing far into 2021 and the strong possibility that the IRS will NOT accept paper filings in 2021, this is nothing short of a $25 per tax return money grab for Turbo Tax for a free Federal service to electronically file the 1040s.  I for one will be looking for a tax new software to use for the 2020 tax filings.  Same on TurboTax / Intuit for being profiteers during COVID!

The fee for CD version state filing is a total surprise to me. You have probably lost a long time customer.