Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi TurboTaxCindyH, thank you for your detailed response! I do have follow-up questions for further clarification. In your reply you said, "You can ignore the self-employed section". However, concerning the FAQ you referenced my business is a sole proprietorship and I did the work as a freelancer. (None of the rest of that list apply to me.)

In the business activities that the FAQ discusses I do intend to make a profit (although its very small). But I don't have regular transactions. In fact, I only had 1 payment to me last year. I did make some effort (not much at all) at trying to get more work, but it really wasn't much. It comprised of discussing the possibility of doing work for one person, at one time; and that was it for the whole year.

So, I'm still confused as to whether or not I'm self-employed or not. What happens if I tell TurboTax that I am self-employed; will it ask me questions in an effort to see if I am self-employed and then tell me that I'm not, if it determines I'm not? Or does it just take my word for it and go on from there?