bsrings

Why would I buy TT Deluxe for $40 and 2nd state for another $40, when I can buy TaxCut Deluxe twice for 2 * $26 = $52 and get the same functionality?

Product pricing for both TurboTax and TaxCut is strange, at best, and actually confusing.

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I can't tell you about other programs.

The Desktop version of Turbotax, if you buy the Deluxe + State box, includes federal preparation and one state preparation module.  State e-filing is an extra $25 but you can skip that if you print and file by mail.  Extra state prep modules are $40 each, but with those extra state modules, e-filing is included.  You can prepare as many returns as you want for family and friends as long as you are not acting like a paid preparer, and you can e-file the first 5 (IRS limit).

If Turbotax is priced higher than competitors, then either they think they have a premium product that is worth more, or TaxCut is trying to undercut Turbotax to improve their market share.

You should use whatever program suits your tax needs and price preference.  Presumably, if millions of customers desert Turbotax for cheaper alternative, Turbotax might change their pricing strategy next year.

View solution in original post

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I have TT Deluxe, how do i purchase the additional state program to file in 2 or more states??