Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bsrings

Why would I buy TT Deluxe for $40 and 2nd state for another $40, when I can buy TaxCut Deluxe twice for 2 * $26 = $52 and get the same functionality?

Product pricing for both TurboTax and TaxCut is strange, at best, and actually confusing.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why would I buy TT Deluxe for $40 and 2nd state for another $40, when I can buy TaxCut Deluxe twice for 2 * $26 = $52 and get the same functionality?

I can't tell you about other programs.

The Desktop version of Turbotax, if you buy the Deluxe + State box, includes federal preparation and one state preparation module.  State e-filing is an extra $25 but you can skip that if you print and file by mail.  Extra state prep modules are $40 each, but with those extra state modules, e-filing is included.  You can prepare as many returns as you want for family and friends as long as you are not acting like a paid preparer, and you can e-file the first 5 (IRS limit).

If Turbotax is priced higher than competitors, then either they think they have a premium product that is worth more, or TaxCut is trying to undercut Turbotax to improve their market share.

You should use whatever program suits your tax needs and price preference.  Presumably, if millions of customers desert Turbotax for cheaper alternative, Turbotax might change their pricing strategy next year.

View solution in original post

2 Replies

I can't tell you about other programs.

The Desktop version of Turbotax, if you buy the Deluxe + State box, includes federal preparation and one state preparation module.  State e-filing is an extra $25 but you can skip that if you print and file by mail.  Extra state prep modules are $40 each, but with those extra state modules, e-filing is included.  You can prepare as many returns as you want for family and friends as long as you are not acting like a paid preparer, and you can e-file the first 5 (IRS limit).

If Turbotax is priced higher than competitors, then either they think they have a premium product that is worth more, or TaxCut is trying to undercut Turbotax to improve their market share.

You should use whatever program suits your tax needs and price preference.  Presumably, if millions of customers desert Turbotax for cheaper alternative, Turbotax might change their pricing strategy next year.

I have TT Deluxe, how do i purchase the additional state program to file in 2 or more states??

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies