gtax0007

How do you properly calculate U.S. government interest from the 1099-DIV?

First question - I am a California resident and own now or did own a number of ETFs and funds in 2017 where some portion was U.S. government treasuries. Is it as simple as going through each fund and looking at total dividends (ex-distributions) and multiplying that number by the percentage of U.S. treasuries as indicated on the brokerage 1099 brochure or fund managers tax portion of their website? 

Also, say I was with Schwab for half the year accruing dividends and then changed to TD Ameritrade mid-way through the year. Would I still use the same U.S. treasury allocation percentage for each if that makes sense? (portion of the dividends paid under one account, then moved and the remainder paid on another account, showing for part of the year on one 1099-DIV and the remainder of the year on another 1099-DIV).

I know forms of this question have been asked but figured I would check with my nuances. I know for a national municipal bond fund if the percentage isn't over a certain amount to California for example, the State doesn't allow you to include say 5% as California muni bond income. Wasn't sure if the same applied for small amounts of U.S. treasury exposure in a mutual fund.

Thanks.