tsteele93

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Thank you! I also am very confused about an earlier event that happened while doing my taxes this year. TT advised me that I could do some "complicated calculations" and I would have to open my old return with TT 2016 to see if I qualified for an AMT credit of some sort (it was earlier in the process, before I had the above situation happen.) It felt as if TT was trying to discourage me from doing it, and while they did not say so, the implication was that it wouldn't be a lot of money.

It was nearly $700 when I followed the instructions. I had to open a form and enter my State income tax as a negative number in a form and then come back to 2017 taxes with a number and when I did that I picked up a nice little bonus.

But I am confused about it, as I don't know if I should now use the altered version of my 2016 taxes to calculate THIS or should I go back to the return that was submitted to the IRS.

Stuff like this almost makes you start to doubt whether you can do taxes via TT anymore or if it has gotten too complicated.

Of course, congress seems to have simplified it for next year, much to my chagrin as I live in a state with vehicle taxes and such, so I am concerned I will come out behind with the new plan. But we shall see I suppose. Might be worth it to not have this headache each year. LOL