Level 7

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you can apply for an installment agreement with the IRS.  (It is technically an application for a payment plan, but they almost always approve them).

1.  You can do this directly from the TurboTax program itself.  During the filing process, TurboTax will have an option for applying for an installment agreement via Form 9465.  Answer the questions and the form will be sent with your return (you may be asked to make a first payment via check if you set up a direct deposit).

2.  You can apply for an agreement online directly with the IRS.  I actually recommend you follow this route because the fees the IRS charges to set up an agreement are less with this method and you get an immediate response on your application.  You can file your return as normal through TurboTax and then instead of making a payment, you will tell the program you are going to pay by check and then ignore the voucher that prints out (or you can make a partial payment with it).  Then, go to the link below and file for an installment agreement with the IRS. (link to application process) (link for general information)

If its a state government that you owe money to - most states also have a similar process for an installment plan, but you won't be able to file one through TurboTax.  You can use the link below to get information for your states department of revenue website.  Go there and you should be able to find information about setting up an installment plan.