Yes. You need to report the 1099-MISC income becau...
New Member

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes. You need to report the 1099-MISC income because otherwise you will have a mismatch with information sent to the IRS.

However, Fellowship Income is not subject to Social Security and Medicare (self-employment tax).

Since taxable fellowships have to be reported as wages, we want the amount to go to line 7 of the Form 1040.  Make sure you remove any/all the entries you may have previously made for this fellowship.


Here is how to enter your fellowship income in TurboTax:

  • Go to Federal Taxes (Person if using Home & Business)
  • Wages and Income (Personal Income if using Home & Business)
  • I'll choose what I work on
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income Section
  • Click start across from Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • Click start across from Other income not already reported on a Form W-2 or Form 1099
  • Answer Yes on the Other Wages Received screen
  • Continue twice past Wages Earned as a Household Employee and Sick or Disability Pay
  • Answer Yes on the Any Other Earned Income screen
  • Select Other on the Enter Source of Other Earned Income screen
  • Enter the appropriate description and amount under the correct individual on the Any Other Earned Income screen
This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings