DS30

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Yes, you can include this information on your 1040 as follows:

For your 1042-S with Code 1 (interest income):

You will enter this as interest income as if you received a 1099-INT.

To enter this interest income in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Interest and Dividends
  5. Choose “ Interest on 1099-INT” and select “start’
  6. Select "I'll type it in myself"
  7. Enter the name of the brokerage firm and  the amount (in USD) in box 1
  8. Check the box "My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon)".
  9. Enter any Federal income taxes withheld in box 4

For your 1042-S with Code 6 (dividend income):

You will enter this as dividend income as if you received a 1099-DIV.

To enter this dividend income in TurboTax Online or Desktop, please follow these steps:

1. Once you are in your tax return, click on the “Federal Taxes” tab ("Personal" tab in TurboTax Home & Business)
  2. Next click on “Wages & Income” ("Personal Income" in TurboTax Home & Business)
  3. Next click on “I’ll choose what I work on” (jump to full list)
  4. Scroll down the screen until to come to the section “Interest and Dividends
  5. Choose “ Dividends on 1099-DIV” and select “start’
  6. Select "I'll type it in myself"
  7. Enter the name of the brokerage firm and  the amount (in USD) in box 1a (If qualified dividends also include this amount in box 1b.)
  8. Check the box "My form has info in more than just box 1 (this is uncommon)".
  9. Enter any Federal income taxes withheld in box 4

View solution in original post