Rejected tax return

My return keeps getting rejected because it’s saying my sons social security number was already used with another tax return. The other tax return was amended and the money was already paid back to the IRS. So now I’m resubmitted my taxes and it’s still getting rejected, why?? How long do I have to wait? 

Carl
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Amending the tax return will NOT change what the IRS computers say. Amended returns can not be e-filed and are processed by hand. It can take 16 weeks or longer for an amended return to get processed. So the bottom line is, you have no choice but to print, sign and mail your tax return to the IRS this year.
Anita01

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

It would be unusual for an amended return to affect the IRS system in time for the parent to e-file in the same tax season.  Unfortunately, you need to tile by mail to be sure of getting your return in before th end of the season.  Your refund won't be delayed  until the amended return is processed.  Your mailed return will be processed normally and your refund issued like any other mailed return, so you'll probably even get your refund faster by mailing your return.