Also, it doesn't matter if grandma provided 90% of...
Level 15

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Also, it doesn't matter if grandma provided 90% of his support, the rest came from scholarships and one percent came from the parents. If the student is your qualifying child dependent, then the parents claim the student as a dependent, and the parents also get to claim all the educational expenses. Remember, there is nothing in the IRS Pub 970 that says the parent has to provide more than 50% of the student's support. The pub says that the student provides *less* than 50% of their *own* support, and it that scholarships and grants do not count as the student providing their own support.
You may wish to use the IRS tool at <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="">> to see just what credits you qualify to claim. The TT program figures all this automatically for you. But using the tool for piece of mind doesn't hurt.
This widget could not be displayed.
Privacy Settings