New Member

My employer W2 has wrong state

Both me and my wife are filing jointly. My wife worked for entire calendar year in Virginia and resident State for her is Virginia. I worked till Sep 30 in Virginia and from October 1 in California. However my employer has generated W2 with state tax deducted only for Virginia an not CA. What should I do if employer is not willing to correct W2?
Level 9

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

You should file your W-2 as it is, unfortunately.  Since no CA tax was withheld you will most likely have to pay some tax to CA. The employer cannot go back and withhold tax for the prior year, that's why they are not "willing" to correct it... they just can't withhold prior year tax at this point. 

View solution in original post