Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I understand " "You must prepare separate Forms 1116...", I just want to understand the specifics of the 1116-AMT carryovers. Relevant instructions for 6251 line 8 are under "AMTFTC Carryback and Carryforward ", that are fairly short and I don't see mentioned either.

I am not saying you are wrong, just that I don't see the rules explicitly mentioned, so perhaps it's defined some other place

For 2021 I marked AMT-non-simplified when TurboTax asked me for it doing FTC. But the next years I marked 'simiplified'. For 2022 I lied accepting it and saying that IRS had given me permission to change (not really a lie, since I was not hit by AMT of course). IRS had no knowledge of my 2021 choice.

Election seems to be reflected on 6251 internal field by Turbo Tax (as I described in my opening post).

IF you do a change of election from non-simplified to simplified, do you still have to use the carryovers from the non-simplified AMT-1116?  Even if you were not hit by AMT? How would the IRS know?

If I did an ammedment for 2021, result would be the same (since I was not hit by AMT). Only Turbotax internal file would change. And I guess I would have to redo 2022 and 2023 since Turbotax only take into account the previous years return.