flessa

Can I file a 1040 through TurboTax in this situation?

I have a question on dual-status filing in TurboTax.

I switched to H1B in February this year, 2024. I should meet the Substantial Presence Test by late Aug 2024, a few weeks ahead of my returns deadline (Oct 15th, given I filed for an extension).

During 2023, I've been in the US for 80%+ of the year and held the same F1 visa the whole year. In 2023, I have been in the country since Jan ~15th (I was here before that but spent New Year abroad). I only had income after coming to the US on Jan 15th. So my understanding is that I'm considered a resident for tax purposes only starting at Jan 15th 2023.

Question: IRS asks that I submit a 1040 and 'a statement to your return to show the income for the part of the year you are a nonresident', which in my case is zero. Am I able to file this kind of 1040 and attachment through Turbotax?

"Resident at End of Year

You must file Form 1040, U.S. Individual Income Tax Return, if you are a dual-status taxpayer who becomes a U.S. resident during the year and who is a resident of the U.S. on the last day of the tax year. Write "Dual-Status Return" across the top of the return. Attach a statement to your return to show the income for the part of the year you are a nonresident. You can use Form 1040NR, U.S. Nonresident Alien Income Tax Return as the statement, but be sure to write "Dual-Status Statement" across the top."