wkldreams
Returning Member

AmeriCorps Segal Education - 1099 MISC Form & 1098-T Question

I have a AmeriCorps Segal Education Award that I have been using each year to pay off my student loans, allowing me to previously receive 1098-E forms. Last year was the first time I used it to pay for tuition for an online program at a university.

The total amount I paid for the courses was $2,184. I paid a total of $1,284 using my Segal Education Award towards the program and the remaining $900 out of pocket. I received both a 1099-MISC for the $1,284 AmeriCorps Segal Award money that I used and a 1098-T for $900 of qualified expenses (the school only counted the money I paid out of pocket). The Segal Award money wasn't included in grants/scholarships on my 1098-T, but the tuition I paid using it was deducted from "qualified expenses".

My question is technically the $1,284 on my 1099-MISC was also used towards qualified education expenses (tuition). Why wasn't the total qualified expenses on my 1098-T $2,184 for box 1? Is there a way to indicate it or how would be the best way to report both forms and maximize credits?