Get your taxes done using TurboTax

After waiting 5 days with no response to my post (I understand this is a busy time of year), I decided to create a Diagnostic copy (sanitized) of my 2023 return to send to Intuit and call the support line [phone number removed].  I was connected to a live agent within 20 minutes, during which I was asked to share my TT interview screen with them.  Upon review their response was that if the data did not get transferred automatically from last year's return, I should simply enter the amount in manually, which I did.  

While was glad to get a clear response and direction, the solution was somewhat less than reassuring in the integrity of the program, but it allowed me to complete my return with the correct data.

I'm using TT Deluxe Desktop version.  Note that this help was available without paying anything extra (eg without TT Live).

It does not yet seem to be a known issue, but eventually my post should be reviewed by Intuit.  In the meantime, I recommend that all TurboTax users check their state long term loss carryover from prior years to see if anything is missing.  I went back 10 years and found no other long term (or short term) carryover losses that would have been eligible for carryover.

If an investigator at Intuit is looking for my 2023 diagnostic return, the token is 1216354.  However confirmation and resolution of this issue may require access to additional data in my 2022 tax return that show the missing available carryover amount.