GeoffreyG

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Your answer is that the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department does not explicitly specify that you must attach a copy of your federal Form 1040 tax return, or any other federal forms or schedules, to your paper-filed New Mexico tax return.  However, you must include copies of any W-2, 1099, or other tax form, if that document shows any New Mexico state income tax withholding.do i have to include a copy of my federal tax return with my virginia tax return when I'm filing by ...

A pair of screen-capture images, taken from the (2016) New Mexico Form PIT-1 instructions booklet, and attached to this answer directly beneath this text, describe what you are to include with a paper-filed state tax return, and the order in which you are requested to assemble it.  Simply click the pictures to open.

That said, it's always possible that the New Mexico Taxation and Revenue Department may later ask for certain supporting (federal) documents, at which point your should be ready and able to supply them.  Thus, please keep a copy (somewhere safe) of your federal tax return, just in case you ever need to refer to it again.

Thank you for asking this important question, and we apologize for any confusion with the TurboTax filing instructions.

View solution in original post