I bought turbotax deluxe at costco. used the cd in my drive. ready to file. the program wants to charge me and according to the cd box, i can file free. How do I do that?

Get your taxes done using TurboTax

I assume you used the desktop software you purchased, since that's what you stated in your question.  So the answer below is for desktop TurboTax.

Something is confusing, however.  Next to your screen name above, however, it says "Online Deluxe" for your product.   So hopefully, you didn't use Online TurboTax by mistake, or it will indeed charge you for the whole thing.  If you did that, we can tell you what to do.

But if you DID install the Deluxe program and prepared your return in that desktop software, see the answer below on what might explain a fee you are seeing.

You didn't say charged "for what" or "how much", but it may be this:

In the desktop products there are no fees to efile Federal returns, but there is a state efile fee, except for New York.

Are you referring to the 24.99 fee to efile a state return? 

There is no state efile fee for New York, and no fee to print and mail the state returns.

If that's what you are referring to, be aware that it's best to pay that fee by credit/debit card.  If you choose to pay it out of your Federal refund, there is an additional 39.99 service fee (44.99 for California filers.)

@amymstrawn
I added more info to the Answer above.  If you were emailed the original answer, please return to the forum to see the additional information.

i put in the cd, it downloaded to my computer then I did my taxes.  I have always used online in the past, wanted to save money this year.  I guess I missed the step that is for using the desktop.  

I can't tell from that what you actually used.   I don't know what you mean by "I missed the step that is for using the desktop."   You'll need to tell me explicitly if the info above doesn't answer what you need.

What was your original question about?  You never mentioned the specific fee.    Are you referring to the 24.99 state efile fee in desktop TurboTax, or are you referring to something else?    Is what you needed to know answered above?

If you did accidentally use the online version instead of the Desktop program installed on your computer you can move your return from online into the Desktop program and file from the program.

When you filled out your return did you go online and log in?  And see a black column on the left side?  That is Online.

The Windows Desktop program is blue across the top and the menu items like Federal, State, Review, File go across the top.

thank you.  how do I move the online to the desktop?

Here's how to download your online *.tax2018 data file to continue it in the desktop software.

Open your online return if not already open ("take me to my return.")
Once the return opens, in the left menu column click on TAX TOOLS, then TOOLS.
In the Tools window choose "Save your 2018 return to your computer."

It will ask you where you want to save it.  If you have installed the desktop software, then the default location to place data files in the Windows version is in your Documents\TurboTax folder.

Once you have the *.tax2018 data file on your computer, here's how to open it:
Launch your 2018 TurboTax software.
Update your 2018 software by running the program updater.
At the main TurboTax screen click way up in the top left corner of the TurboTax screen on the FILE menu and in the dropdown menu choose "OPEN Tax Return."
You may have to tell TurboTax the location of the file, or it may find it if it's in the default location.

NOTE:  If your *.tax2018 data file has state return info in it, then you'll need to download the state program into your desktop software before opening the file, or you'll get an error notice.  To download the state program you may have to start a new dummy 2018 return just long enough to download the state.