Dude32

Retired from military/resident of multiple states in 2023; have to use married filing separately?

TLDR- Do I have to use married filing separately if I (but not my active duty military spouse) was a resident of multiple states after I retired from the military in 2023? 

Hello all,

I retired from the military on 1 Jun 23, my wife remained active duty through all of 2023.  I started the year as a CA resident, and after retiring, became a VA resident.  My active duty pay went to CA for state taxes, and my retirement pension went to VA, and I did not have a job for the remainder of the year.  My wife is a WA resident and doesn't pay state taxes.

When attempting to file my VA state taxes, TurboTax informed me that I'd have to use Married Filing Separately (MFS) since I was a resident of multiple states for 2023. We've been filing jointly for over decade, sometimes with multiple state returns due to owning rental properties. 

I would very much like to NOT use MFS for multiple reasons, and was hoping I was missing something, especially related to unique military status, that would allow me to file jointly.

Thanks so much everyone!