Separated since ending of January but unable to remove from household until September

I am legally married, but the divorce paperwork is in process.  We separated (no legal documentation just no longer a couple) in the ending of January but was unable to remove him from our home (rental) until September with a restraining order.  He stopped contributing to the household around March (paid half the rent so I would not be able to kick him out but refused to pay any of the utilities and purchased groceries (we have two school aged children) only when I would hold out in hopes that he would.  He makes significantly more than I do. Because he physically lived here, I do not qualify for the Child Credit. Is there any way around this? Also, I do not have access to his W2 form to fill out the communal property (we live in California).  Should I just leave his portion blank?  I do not have an option to state we are not in good terms.  He has not given me any child support so I am certain he will not give me any information that would require him to give me money.  Help please.