Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi. Thanks for this discussion.

I imported my 1099-B from the broker (or whatever its called) website, and the RSU and ESPP 1099-B was imported into TT. I then went through each of the lines of groups of stock that were sold, and updated the supplemental information by adding in the various prices TT asks for from the 3922 (price on purchase date, grant date, paid price etc). Every time I entered each, for ESPP, my tax due went lower and lower, because the cost basis was going higher, because the cost basis updated to not take into account the 15%, which I believe is correct.

I have both long term and short term covered (I dont know if that is qualifying or disqualifying) on my 1099-B.

I also left Box 2 (which asks whether it is an ordinary gain or loss) for each of these stocks unchecked, because there was no box 2 on the 1099-B.

At the end, when I said done with all the 1099-B accounts, it asked me whether any of the ESPP are included in my W2 (it didn't say anything about ordinary as the OP in this post is asking). For RSU I said yes, but for ESPP, I wasn't sure, so I clicked No, and my tax due jumped up back to the amount that it was before I started entering all the supplemental 3922 information. So all those hours of figuring that out was wasted. What was the point of TT asking me all those questions about updating the cost basis if it will ignore all that anyway?

Other information I know is that ESPP is pre-tax.

The W2 does mention RSU in box 14. I don't see ESPP specifically listed, but could be in box 1.

Thank you.