Get your taxes done using TurboTax

rchead037,

I'm not surprised that CA-specific info does not appear on the federal 1099-DIV form (not 1099-B) as there is no box for it there and the mutual fund company cannot definitively know whether a CA address on the form really refers to a CA resident.  You need supplemental information to make the determination of whether any of the dividend was going to be exempt from CA taxation.  This is often given in a supplemental insert with your 1099-DIV form or in the mutual fund's online tax center and provided in terms of percentages.  There are a gazillion funds and ETFs out there and I would not expect TurboTax to have a comprehensive table of that information or even try to acquire one.  But once you have the percentages and have determined if the mutual fund had reached that 50%+ threshold, you multiply Box 12 by each of the two percentages and enter them as I indicated.  They end up appearing on Schedule CA(540) on Line 2 with the US govt interest in column B and the non-CA bond interest in column C.