Melo_Shuai
Returning Member

Non-resident student submitting Form 1042-S

Hi everyone,

I am an international graduate student coming to US on Aug 26,2022. I used TurboTax to file my 2022 tax return. After I submitted my form, I realized that I forgot to submit my 1042-S form in this return, so I amended my return and file again. Now I have a few questions.

1. I heard from my friends that I should not use TurboTax since I am not a resident in US. So can I amend my return again and change my personal information as foreign resident? If so, should I wait for my first amend to be processed?

2. I have received two 1042-S forms from my universities. The first one records part of my scholarship income before I got my SSN, so 14% of that was withheld by the federal. The other one corresponds to my remaining scholarship after SSN application, so the tax withheld on this 1042-s is zero. Now I have filled in the withheld in the deduction section of TurboTax 2022 tax return form. Do I need to add these two parts of my income together when I report my miscellaneous taxable income or I only need to mention the first part (when I report my 1042-s income)?

3. How long does it take usually for an amended return to be processed? My amended tax return document (1040-X) has changed to be the latest amount, but the number on my TurboTax mainpage still remains as before. Is this normal?

I will appreciate it if anyone could give some help. Thank you!