Get your taxes done using TurboTax

Hi,

Very grateful with your answers. 

1: Correct.

2: Correct.

3: Yes. More because we was unsure how everything should be done. We looked at establishing an entity in the US, but realized the self-employed route is easier to do. It is a small company with only 6 employees (myself included). I filed for I-765 together with the I-485 after I got married. Due to covid-19 there is a huge backlog. Ended up getting the I-485 before my I-765, so yes, I did follow path b. But at the same time not authorized to work. 

4: I believe a lot of people has been in the same situation as me. During 2021 all income I earned was only spent in Norway (mortgage, HOA, insurance, electricity etc). My spouse provided for everything in the US. Therefore I’m not sure if taxes made of the income during this period should be paid to USA. But it makes sense to pay it to the US since the work is performed from USA even though none of the money is spent here. This comes to your last section where you advise me to seek a professional who are familiar with this type of situation. Do you have anyone you could recommend?

5: This is the tricky part. I would for sure need a professional who could look into this. I know my spouse filed jointly for 2021, so I believe I have to do the same. At the same time I’m not sure if I qualify to file jointly since I worked physically in Norway (January to end of May 2021), and Norway would have their right of claiming tax of this income.

But a professional might be able to sort this out for me. At least all your answers and input helps a lot to point me to the correct direction.

6: Great 🙂

7: Got it. Don’t think it should be a problem to get it back. I will at least file the form 8802 for that period in 2021, and then continue for the full years after 2021.

8: I have put my SSN in all financial institutions (related to FACTA) in Norway, so I think this is reported automatically. Not sure is FACTA and FBAR is the same thing. Will look more into that.

9: I did apply for the work permit, but as mentioned earlier, a huge backlog ended up that it never got issued. Totally agree with you, more likely that it would fail to prove that I had closer connection to Norway. 

I’m so thankful for all the answers and guidelines. 

It’s been a pain to try to do things right. Several calls to IRS, Skatteetaten (Norwegian tax administration), Social security etc). The only answer I have got so far from the authorities is that my health insurance coverage in Norway became invalid from the day my green card was issued. I could apply to be a voluntary member, but they said it was more or less likely to fail since I have chosen to work from/in USA and not being sent out as a temporarily employee etc.

Is there any professional you would recommend?

Regards,

Jim