SOLICITING IRS WHISTLEBLOWER ADVICE

I am contemplating whether to file an IRS “whistleblower” form 211 (Application for Award for Original Information) based on what I believe to be an unlawful accounting practice by a national financial institution.

I am unclear as to whether form 211 is appropriate in this circumstance because the institution, AFAIK, is not benefiting financially, rather, this practice is causing tax issues for a significant minority of its clients who end up incorrectly paying either more or less tax than is owed.

Thus, it is not clear to me whether the firm can be considered a “tax cheat.”

https://www.irs.gov/compliance/whistleblower-office#claim

The firm is well aware of these violations and gets away with them because it seems that even the few clients who realize something looks wrong receive plausible but incorrect answers from the firm.

Formal complaints are met with responses that not only avoid but refuse to acknowledge the central issue, instead responding with related but extraneous information. After two or three follow ups by the client, communication is abruptly cut off by the firm.

I would appreciate advice from anyone familiar with the IRS whistleblower process and whether or not it might be worth the effort to file a report.