TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Can I exclude my 1099-C from my taxable income?

SOLVEDby TurboTax1630Updated December 17, 2021

In certain cases, yes. Although the IRS generally considers canceled, forgiven, or discharged debt as taxable income, there are exclusions and exceptions to the rule.

When you enter your 1099-C in TurboTax, we'll ask a series of questions to determine if some or all of your 1099-C debt can be excluded.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads