TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Is a parsonage or housing allowance deductible?

SOLVEDby TurboTax657Updated 5 days ago

As a licensed, commissioned, or ordained minister, you may be able to deduct the fair market value of a home, a parsonage (in-kind housing), or a housing allowance. The deductible amount is the lowest of:

  • The amount actually used to provide or rent a home
  • The fair market rental value of the home (including furnishings, utilities, garage, etc.)
  • The amount officially designated (in advance of payment) as a rental or housing allowance
  • An amount which represents reasonable pay for services.

Bear in mind:

  • A clergy person is not allowed the special housing allowance if the church has not previously designated an amount in writing. The church must have this in writing before you can use it
  • The housing allowance payments must be used in the year received and any allowance that exceeds actual housing expenses counts as income
  • Although the excludable portion of clergy housing isn't subject to federal income tax, you'll still have to pay self-employment taxes on it

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads