- Sign in to your account and select Continue to pick up where you left off in your tax return
- Select the magnifying glass, or search, then type TAA
- Select the Jump to link at the top of your search results
- This will take you directly to the Health Coverage Tax Credit section. We’ll ask you some questions to determine if you qualify for the credit, and you’ll also enter the amount of your qualified health insurance premiums
You'll need to attach certain documents that prove you were eligible to claim the credit, that your 2022 health insurance plan was qualified, and that the premiums claimed for your 2021 coverage were paid.
Required documentation reflecting that you were an eligible individual for the months claimed in 2022:
- For trade certified individuals demonstrating TAA, alternative TAA, or reemployment TAA eligibility—a copy of the official letter from the Department of Labor, your state workforce agency or employment office stating you are eligible for trade adjustment benefits
- For PBGC eligibility—a copy of the official letter from the PBGC stating you received a benefit paid by the PBGC or a copy of your Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, from the PBGC showing you received a benefit paid by the PBGC
Required insurance and payment documentation for each month you are claiming the credit for 2022:
- Proof that your insurance was qualified health insurance coverage and
- Proof of payment of insurance premiums
If you e-file, you must complete Form 8453, U.S. Individual Income Tax Transmittal for an IRS e-file Return, attach your documents and mail them to the IRS according to the instructions for that form.