TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

Where do I enter my traditional or Roth IRA contributions?

SOLVEDby TurboTax2006Updated April 15, 2022

Your IRA contributions are reported on Form 5498, IRA Contributions Information. Your IRA trustee or issuer—not you—is required to file this form with the IRS, usually by May 31. You won't find this form in TurboTax, nor do you file it with your tax return.

To enter your 2021 IRA contributions (money you put into your IRA):

  1. Sign into your TurboTax acccount
  2. Open or continue to your return
  3. In the search bar, type ira contributions and select the Jump to link in the search results
  4. We'll take you to the Traditional IRA and Roth IRA screen, where you can start the IRA interview
Do I need to report my Roth IRA contributions?

You have to report your Roth IRA contributions on your tax return, and you should report your traditional IRA contributions, because:

  • You might qualify for the Saver’s Credit
  • This will record your Roth IRA basis, which can be useful for future tax calculations
  • Your traditional IRA contributions may be tax-deductible (the deduction may be limited if you or your spouse is covered by a retirement plan at work and your income exceeds certain levels)
  • Excess contributions to a Roth or traditional IRA might result in a tax penalty

If you need to enter a 2021 IRA distribution (money you took out of your IRA), or a conversion, rollover, or recharacterization, this is reported on a Form 1099-R. You should get this form from your IRA custodian by mid-February. Once you have your 1099-R, enter it in TurboTax

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
TurboTax Desktop BasicTurboTax Desktop BusinessTurboTax Desktop DeluxeTurboTax Desktop Home and BusinessTurboTax Desktop PremierTurboTax Live BasicTurboTax Live DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service BasicTurboTax Live Full Service Complex IncomeTurboTax Live Full Service Complex Self-EmployedTurboTax Live Full Service DeluxeTurboTax Live Full Service PremierTurboTax Live Full Service Self-employedTurboTax Live PremierTurboTax Live Self-employedTurboTax Mobile Apps DeluxeTurboTax Mobile Apps FreeTurboTax Mobile Apps PremierTurboTax Mobile Apps Self-employedTurboTax Online DeluxeTurboTax Online FreeTurboTax Online PremierTurboTax Online Self-employed
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads