TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
10 people found this useful

What if I don’t have a 1098 mortgage interest statement?

You should have gotten it from your lender by the end of January.

If you didn’t get a 1098—TurboTax Online and Mobile

If you didn’t get a 1098 because:

• The interest amount is under $600 or for a qualified RV, boat etc.—get the info from your lender or end of year loan statement and enter that.
  • It’s in someone else’s name and they’re financing the loan—choose “The person who sold me my home is financing this loan and I didn’t receive a 1098” after entering your lender’s information in the Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance section.
  • You co-own the home and someone else received the statement—choose “I co-own this loan with someone and only pay a portion of it” after entering your lender’s information in the Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance section.
  • Your lender went out of business—check your last monthly mortgage statement, it may have your year to date interest. Or, your leader may be able to assist you.

If you didn’t get a 1098—TurboTax Desktop

If you didn’t get a 1098, check box for “I did not receive a 1098”, after entering your lender’s information in the Mortgage Interest, Refinancing, and Insurance section.

Even if you don’t have a 1098, you’ll still need to enter the requested information from an alternate source, such as your mortgage lender or year-end mortgage statement. In that case, just enter everything when prompted as though you have a 1098. (Because you’ll be entering the equivalent of the amounts from the different numbered boxes of the 1098 without actually having that form).

GEN88664