Minimum System Requirements for TurboTax Windows Software
Here are the minimum system requirements for TurboTax 2013 through 2016 software for Windows Basic, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business, and Business editions.
Note that after the 2016 tax year, Vista will no longer be supported.
- 2016: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7 (Service Pack 1 or later), or Windows Vista (Service Pack 2 or later)
- 2015: Windows 10, Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, or Windows Vista
- 2014: Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP with Service Pack 3+
- 2013: Windows 8.0/8.1, Windows 7, Windows Vista, or 32-bit Windows XP with Service Pack 3+
Administrator rights are required to install and run TurboTax on Windows Vista or later.
- 2016 - 2014: Intel Pentium 4 or later/AMD Athlon or later
- 2013: 1 GHz 32-bit (x86) or faster
Hard Drive Space
- 2016: 650 MB plus up to 4.5 GB for Microsoft.NET 4.5.2 c already installed.
- 2015 and 2014: 650 MB plus up to 1.5 GB for Microsoft.NET 4 client already installed.
- 2013: 500 MB plus another 15 MB if installing a state product
RAM: 1 GB minimum
Internet connection: At minimum, you'll need a 56 Kbps to e-file and download program updates. Broadband is highly recommended.
Monitor resolution: 1024×768 minimum (TurboTax 2012 can get by with 800×600, but we recommend 1024×768).
Adobe Reader 8.0 or higher to preview or print your tax forms. TurboTax 2015 requires Adobe Reader 10 or higher. TurboTax 2016 requires Adobe Reader 11 or higher.
Windows-compatible inkjet or laser printer if you want to print your tax return or any tax forms.
We no longer sell or support TurboTax for 2012 or earlier tax years.