TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
294 people found this useful

How Do I File a State Return if I Live in New Jersey and Work in New York?

If you live in New Jersey and work in New York, you’ll have to file a resident return for New Jersey and a nonresident return for New York.

The state of New York requires you to pay taxes on income you earned working there, even though you live in New Jersey.

You must report all your income on your New Jersey return. However, you will get a credit for the taxes you paid to New York on your New Jersey return.