TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
2465 people found this useful

Where do I enter my 1099-SA?

You'll get Form 1099-SA if you used funds in your Health Savings Account (HSA) or a Medical Savings Account (MSA) to pay for health care expenses.

Tip: Don't confuse this form with the SSA-1099 for Social Security benefits.

Enter your 1099-SA before your medical expenses, so we can properly calculate your medical expense deduction:

  1. Open (continue) your return in TurboTax, if you don't already have it open.
  2. In TurboTax, search for "1099-sa" or "1099sa" (don't use the upper-case "SA") and then click or tap the "Jump to" link in the search results.
  3. On the Tell us about the health-related accounts screen, check the appropriate boxes (these may already be checked from info you entered earlier).
  4. Select Continue and follow the onscreen instructions to add or edit the form.
    • Answer Yes if asked if you used your HSA or MSA to pay for anything.
    • If using the Free Edition, follow the prompts to upgrade to Deluxe.