Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
United States of AmericaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaEnglish CanadaFrançais
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TurboTax Help

What's different now that I'm self-employed in 2020?

For starters, you'll probably start getting one or all of these tax forms in the mail:

Form 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC reports money you earned doing work for a client or for a company as a non-employee. Think of it as the self-employed equivalent of Form W-2. If someone paid you more than $600 for non-employee work in 2020, they're required to send you a 1099-MISC or 1099-NEC.

Form 1099-K is generated when you earned over $20,000 or received over 200 transactions from a company. This form is sent to contractors who work for on-demand companies like Uber and Lyft.

Please note that you're required to report all self-employed income – including cash, check, and electronic payments – even if it's under $600 or you didn't get a 1099.

As a self-employed taxpayer, you're also going to start seeing some new forms on your tax return (don't worry – we'll automatically fill these out for you as you proceed through the TurboTax interview):

  • Schedule C: This calculates your net profit or loss, which carries over to Schedule 1, line 3.
  • Schedule SE: This calculates your self-employment tax, which shows up on Schedule 2, line 4. You get to deduct half of it; that amount transfers over to Schedule 1, line 14.
  • 1040-ES: We'll generate 4 of these estimated payment vouchers, one for each quarter, if (like many newly self-employed people) you didn't withhold or pay enough taxes throughout the year. These vouchers are for next year's return. More info

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings