Am I an employee or an independent contractor? - Intuit Turbo Real Money Talk

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
,Created with Sketch.548 helpful votes

Am I an employee or an independent contractor?

It depends on how you’re paid and the type of year-end form you receive from the person or business that paid you.

If you’re an employee:

  • You received a W-2 from your employer (usually in January or early February).
  • Your employer took Social Security and Medicare taxes (FICA) out of your paycheck each payday.

If you’re an independent contractor:

  • You received a 1099-MISC with a dollar amount in Box 7 (Nonemployee compensation).
  • The payments you received were for the full amount you earned, nothing was deducted for FICA.

If you’re an independent contractor you’re considered self-employed and you’re responsible for reporting your earnings and paying your taxes directly to the IRS.

You should report your net income or losses either on a Schedule C or as other income on Form 1040.

We’ll help you by asking you simple questions about your self employment income and filling out the right tax forms for you.

Was this helpful?

You must sign in to vote, reply, or post
Intuit TurboTax - Finish filing and get your maximum refund, guaranteed.

Ready to Try TurboTax?

Returning? Sign in