Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bcam

Personal use property.....my UCC is $1000...sold car for $4000...new car is $30,000. How do I enter this for capital gains ? Thank you

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Personal use property.....my UCC is $1000...sold car for $4000...new car is $30,000. How do I enter this for capital gains ? Thank you

Assuming this is a T2125 for self employment, or a T776 for rental income, you will show the disposal of the first vehicle for $4,000 or the original cost if it is less than $4,000.  You will then add the new vehicle in the additions section at the purchase price. This does not involve capital gains.  If you ended up there, you will need to delete all entries under capital gains.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Assuming this is a T2125 for self employment, or a T776 for rental income, you will show the disposal of the first vehicle for $4,000 or the original cost if it is less than $4,000.  You will then add the new vehicle in the additions section at the purchase price. This does not involve capital gains.  If you ended up there, you will need to delete all entries under capital gains.