Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I supposed to enter the total how much much I paid for my 2022 taxes during 2023? That part is confusing

"Enter the total in quarterly tax instalments th"
at you made to the CRA during 2023. This does not include payments made for your 2022 taxes."
This is very confusing, I paid a lot last year in installments for 2022 taxes, is that what I need to enter?
1 Reply

Am I supposed to enter the total how much much I paid for my 2022 taxes during 2023? That part is confusing

No, you should not enter the amount paid for the balance owing on your 2022 Income Tax and Benefit Return as part of your 2023 instalment payments.

If you were required to make instalment income tax payments during 2023, include only these amounts.  If you submit them through online banking, payee name should indicate that they are for the 2023 instalment account with CRA (the exact payee name may vary depending on your financial institution).

If you are unsure of the amount of 2023 intalments you have paid for 2023, and you have a CRA MyAccount, you can sign in, and on the left menu click on Accounts and Payments.  The instalments section will indicate the total paid for each tax year.  Enter the amount indicated for 2023. 

If you do not have a CRA MyAccount, you can phone CRA at 1-800-959-8281 to request the information.  You will need  your 2022 Notice of Assessment to answer their security verification questions.

If you had a balance owing on your 2022 Income Tax and Benefit Return, do not include this amount as part of your 2023 income tax instalments. 

Thank you for choosing TurboTax!