FredTax22
Returning Member

Tax law changes

Yes, I’ve put down a deposit and signed a “build order” but it is unclear to me whether or not that constitutes a “written binding contract to purchase” in the eyes of the IRS. Some on the internet argue that it will suffice, while others say only the final signed paperwork (given at the point of the car’s  delivery/sale) will count.

I’m under the income caps. But you’re right—there is still a lot to sort out. I’m very fuzzy as to what happens between the signing of the bill into law and 1/1/2023. Will cars purchased during that time be eligible for the old credit, the new credit, or neither credit? It is confusing because different provisions appear to go into effect at different times (eg NA assembly when the bill is signed, vs battery sourcing when guidance is issued, etc).

Ultimately I think we will have to wait to see what the IRS says, but since some of these changes theoretically take place immediately when the bill is signed, it affects purchasing decisions that have to be made now…