Can F1 Visa holders participate in paid market research surveys? Can they receive a 1099-k form?

I have 2 questions:

1) I was offered to participate in a paid market survey. The compensation is paid through PayPal. Would this be legal (considering that with an F1 visa I am not allowed to work, but this would not be work)?.

2) I have received several Venmo payments this year (for more than $600) from roommates and friends, mainly from when we go out and divide the costs of dinner, house supplies expenses, and so on. Does this mean that I will receive a 1099-K form at the end of the year? Would it be okay to receive a 1099-K form being an F1 visa holder? Thank you!

KarenP12
Expert Alumni

Self employed

@francosobrero 

Good luck on your schooling.  You do need to report the 1099-K on your income tax return.

Since you are an F1 Visa holder depending how many years you have been on that type of Visa will depend if you report your income on a 1040-NR or a 1040 and also what your countries tax treaty says with the United States:

https://blog.sprintax.com/us-tax-residency-status-explained/

If you need to file a 1040-NR as an F1 Visa holder, which is normal, unless you have been in the USA for 5 years you will need to use a product called Sprintax they are a company that processes 1040-NR similar to TurboTax for 1040's.

Here is an article from SprinTax on this situation:

https://blog.sprintax.com/form-1099k-reporting-tax-return-nonresidents/

There are other documents such as the 8843 that you may have to file and if you worked for an employer depending on your status and if you paid social security and Medicare there are other forms that are required, depending on your situation.

Anyone who is compensated more than $600 that is not a business should receive a 1099-K or a 1099-MISC for income that they earned as a hobby or other non-business related income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post