mysteremo

Is my military retirement pay exempt from taxes in Missouri

Tax help for military filers

Yes

Military Pension Exemption: Beginning January 1, 2016, all military pension income will be tax free in Missouri. 

View solution in original post

pcavesina

Missouri Statute, RSMO 143.174 clearly states the deduction is for "Active Duty" military member. What are you referencing for retired pay?
pcavesina

Missouri Statute, RSMO 143.174 clearly states the deduction is for "Active Duty" military member. What are you referencing for retired pay?
tamjim

Simply saying "Yes" is incorrect and misleading.  The answer to this should include more details about the income limits that affect the exemption of military retirement pay.

Page 8 & 9 have the income limits you are referring to.<a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://dor.mo.gov/forms/Military%20Reference%20Guide.pdf">https://dor.mo.gov/forms/Military%20Refer...>
bobshillito
Returning Member

If Turbotax says all military pension income is tax free Missouri since January 1, 2016,  why does the Turbotax "Missouri Pension and Retirement Adjustment Results" screen indicate a $0 exemption for my military pension? 

BillM223
Expert Alumni

1. Did you indicate in the 1099-R interview that this was a military pension, in the screens after you enter the 1099-R?

2. In the Missouri interview, did you see the screens starting with "Missouri Pension and Retirement Adjustment"? The screens that follow should show you the calculations.

A brief glance suggests that your Social Security is netted against your military pension. Then look at Form MO-A, Part 3, Sections A, D, and E. If Section E is zero or blank, then your military pension exemption got reduced to zero.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
bobshillito
Returning Member

I will check with my Missouri Military Liaison to confirm the SSA linkage and thus zero deduction; however, the Turbotax "Pension and Retirement Adjustment Results" screen should still have a dollar figure in it rather than be blank. A blank transmits no information at all!!  More to follow.