How to show charitable contribution when paid directly from my RMD so it isn't taxed

My info from the broker shows the entire required minimum distribution. I had money sent directly to a charity and should not be taxed. How do I show that in TT

AnnetteB
Intuit Alumni

Retirement tax questions

If you are referring to making a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD) from your IRA, there is a provision within TurboTax to take care of this. 

TurboTax will take your age into account and determine if you qualify to make a QCD.  After you enter the information from your Form 1099-R which reports the distribution there will be some follow-up questions.  One of those questions will be if the distribution was transferred to a qualified charitable organization.  You can choose either all, part, or none of the distribution was transferred.  This will take care of reporting the distribution correctly on your return.

Click on the picture below for a visual reference of the screen you will see with regard to the QCD.

To go directly to the section of your return to enter your Form 1099-R, use these steps:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)

• This opens a box where you can type in “1099-r” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)

• The search results will give you an option to “Jump to 1099-r

• Click on the blue “Jump to 1099-r” link and enter your information

View solution in original post